Virtual Box

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 20:31:48 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Well, you can use QEMU and it will be extremely slow. I think the qemu-kvm
> binary will fallback to software QEMU emulation if KVM is not supported.
>
> One thing you can use to speed it up a bit in kmod-kqemu which you can
> found
> in the RPM Fusion repository, in the Free section (it got GPLed some time
> ago, so it's in the Free section, but Fedora won't carry it because it's
> not in the upstream kernel). It's a hack to run some of the code on the
> native hardware without needing hardware virtualization. That said, I'm
> not
> sure whether virt-manager will fire up the correct qemu binary and with
> the
> correct options to use kqemu. If you run the regular qemu binary (not
> qemu-kvm) with no option, it will pick up kqemu.
>
> That said, AFAIK kqemu doesn't perform anywhere near as well as KVM, also
> because kernel code is still emulated entirely in software (there's an
> experimental -kernel-kqemu option which tries to use kqemu also for
> kernel-space code, but all I ever got out of that option is VM crashes).

Thanks Kevin

The machine I wanted to use to try things out does not have KVM support
which is why I asked.... but it seems just possible that a VM might work
with qemu/kqemu even without kvm though I will have to just try it and see
what happens - and although slower than kvm maybe it would not so bad that
it is unusable.  On the machine in question I am happy to play and if it
does not work then it is not a major loss - but worth learning on!