system-config-printer can't find my remote printer ??

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 11:26:29 UTC 2009

William Case wrote:
> I have a working HP Photosmart C4200 series printer connected by USB to
> my BASEMENT computer. I am trying to set up printing for the UPSTAIRS
> computer over the LAN. system-config-printer on the UPSTAIRS computer
> does not detect the basement printer and none of the set up options it
> gives seems to work.

The way this should work is that CUPS browsing makes the queue available
to the upstairs computer.  Use tcpdump/wireshark on the upstairs machine
to find out if UDP port 631 packets are being seen.  If so, the problem
is most likely

  * the firewall on the upstairs machine (which needs to allow incoming
UDP port 631), or

  * the CUPS sharing settings on the upstairs machine (which should
enable 'Show printers shared by other systems' -- this is the default).

If you've tried both of these things, use the printing troubleshooter on
the upstairs computer to try to discover the problem.

Tim.
*/