Running Akonadi as root (was: Re: Akonadi on f10 (again))

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 28 04:59:29 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 March 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [akonadiserver] 090301 15:32:16 [ERROR] Fatal error: Please read
>> ["Security" section of the manual to find out how
>> to run mysqld as root!
>
>Actually, to run akonadi with its local mysqld as root, all you need is:
>echo "user=root" >/root/.config/akonadi/mysql-local.conf
>
>If it still doesn't work, try appending it manually
>to .local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf as well:
>echo "user=root" >>/root/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
>(but it should get added automatically from mysql-local.conf).
>
>WARNING: This will run mysqld as root. Probably not the most secure thing to
>do in the world. You have been warned.

I added that both places, but mysqld is still running as mysql.  After many
reboots.

>        Kevin Kofler

Update: Tonight I edited the akonadiserverrc to indicate that it should start
the server (mysqld I assume), and stopped mysqld, then stopped kmail for 10
secs and restarted it.  NOW it says the migration succeeded, and I have
serveral copies of both akonadiserver and akonadiserver_control running, along
with the usual 8 or 9 copies of mysqld, still running as the user mysql.

I would consider this a bug if it can't find and use an already running
mysqld.  Is that a good assessment?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene