Sound pops

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Sun Mar 29 14:50:38 UTC 2009

su, 2009-03-29 kello 09:55 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu kirjoitti:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have fully updated F10 system running on an Asus P5Q-E motherboard.
> Yesterday while listening to some mp3s, I heard snaps, pops, and
> crackles (rice krispies are tasty!).  At first I thought it was maybe a
> poorly encoded mp3, but listening to many other mp3s didn't remove the
> issue.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this recently?
Unfortunately, yes, though not necessarily with mp3 files only. My F10
system also suffers from "snap, crackle and pop" syndrome with all audio
reproduction. My MB is an ASUS K8N, and pulseaudio is working perfectly
with my F9 system using the same hardware.
>  I remember reading here
> quite a while ago about similar issues. I believe at that time it was a
> problem with pulseaudio.  Maybe the bug is back.  :: shrugs ::
I sincerely don't know where the blame really lies but there are several
remedies already offered. One is removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, the
other is editing /etc/pulse/default.pa
(http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=206868 ), and the third
was published just yesterday on this list by Francois Patte under the
title of "Re: sound on fedora 10[SOLVED(?)]".
I haven't tried any of these yet but I'm somewhat perplexed by the fact
that now that F10 has been available for 4 months, the problems with
audio are still there. Isn't anybody writing bug reports any longer? I
would have, but I've just had F10 installed a couple of weeks.

> Any input would be appreciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

BR, Antti