F9 gst and v4l2 problem

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 30 03:28:59 UTC 2009

Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> So I suppose this is some problem related with the v4l2 plugin for
> gstreamer, but I don't know how to fix this. I've Googled it and I saw
> people from other distributions having the same problem, but usually
> an update fixed the problem. My Fedora system is up to date.

Well, it's not, you're still running F9. This is fixed in F10.

> Any ideas?

As most things in F9 are not built with libv4l, you'll have to manually
LD_PRELOAD v4l2convert.so to get them to work:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l2convert.so cheese

For v4l1 apps, you'll want to:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so the_app
(You can also try that for Cheese if v4l2convert.so doesn't work.)

For 32-bit apps (e.g. Skype), use /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64. Note that,
as Skype is proprietary and not part of Fedora, it is impossible for Fedora
to fix it, so you will always have to
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so to use it (until the producer
fixes it). This is why proprietary software sucks, it always lags behind
current GNU/Linux technology. I strongly recommend not using Skype, because
you're not only locking yourself into proprietary technology, but also the
people on the other end.

See also: http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/6317.html

Alternatively, you can upgrade to F10 where webcam-using apps have been
built to use libv4l directly (but of course this only applies to the
software actually IN Fedora, not proprietary crap like Skype).

        Kevin Kofler