Fresh install Fedora 10 X86_64 problems

Jeff Voskamp javoskam at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 31 20:57:13 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> Jeff Voskamp wrote:
>> cd /home
>> for x in *; do
>> chown -R $x:$x $x
>> done
>>
> That doesn't seem to work for what I'm doing.
>
> What I'm trying to do is change all directories/files in a
> /home/user, from one owner/group to another owner/group.
>
> When I installed FC10, fresh install and format the /  partition and
> left the /home partition from the old fedora 8 install
> in place.
> FC10 for some reason change all the directories/files to another user
> on box into a  /home/user.
> I know this sounds confusing but the point,  /home/molly has the
> wrong   owner/group on her files.  I have got to get them back to
> molly:molly in /home/molly.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Thanks for your help

You saved /home on the re-install and re-created all the accounts and
now they don't line up?
The above script will change /home/joe (and subdirectories) to be user
joe and group joe, /home/fred to user fred and group fred, etc.
If you haven't re-created the accounts yet then that's a different problem.

Jeff