F10 custom install

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Sun Mar 1 05:55:37 UTC 2009

john wendel wrote:
> Clueless here,
>
> I've got an F10 install running well, and I'd like to move the system
> to a flash disk. This flash will become the boot device for a small
> system I'm building. Can I just use "cp" and end up with a workable
> system? I know that I need to do a grub install. Anything else?
>
> I'd appreciate any clues about what I need to tweak on the resulting
> flash to get it booting/running.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clueless ( John )

You might consider using livecd-creator to create a live custom image,
and then using livecd-iso-to-disk to create your bootable flash drive.

I have done this about 100 times at work, and it works well.  When you
use livecd-iso-to-disk you can add overlays for both system and home
that will allow dynamic changes.

Another thing: you might create links to /var/lib/pgsql, /var/lib/mysql,
/var/log, etc etc, during the postinstall of the kickstart used for
livecd-creator.

That way, you can have a separate partition on the flash drive for data,
rather than putting data in an overlay.

Good Luck!