FC10 Boot Problems - FakeRaid

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Mar 1 18:52:35 UTC 2009

Gerry Doris wrote:
> My server has 5 SATA drives.  I have two pairs of Intel stripped raid
> (FakeRaid).  These are drive C: containing XP Pro and D: containing
> Vista 64.  I decided to try out Fedora 10 and added a 5th standalone
> drive since I knew that Fedora has problems with FakeRaid.
>
> During the installation I added an upgrade from Hans de Goete that
> allowed FC10 to see the raid volumes and I was able to successfully
> install FC10 on the 5th drive.  I've tried this with both the 64 and 32
> versions.  The install completes successfully and I can use the rescue
> disk to mount the installation to check it out.  So far so good.
>
> My problem is that I can't find a way to boot FC10.  I'm using a Vista
> boot menu now for XP and Vista and wanted to add an FC10 option.  I've
> tried using EasyBCD but can't get it to work.  I don't want to mess up
> the XP or Vista installs as I need those for my business.  However, I
> would really like to see if I can migrate some of those applications
> over to FC10.
>
> Is there an easy way to boot FC10 without messing around with the
> Windows installs?

If you are willing to make a small change to Windows, you can use
the Windows boot loader to boot Linux.

http://highlandsun.com/hyc/linuxboot.html

I have not done this, so try it at your own risk. But I do not see
any reason it should not work, and I don't see how you can break
your Windows install.

Mikkel