NM: the usual rant

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Mar 1 21:06:36 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I too am having a problem with Network Manager, and like Anne, I should
> file a bug and provide feedback if requested. In my case Network Manager
> seems to have a terribly difficult time connecting to my wireless
> network before I login. I always have to force a restart of the network
> service in order to get the magic "Connection Established" gui popup
> message and the connectivity bars icon showing at the top right of my
> screen. I think it may have something to do with a problem in ifup-eth
> and dhclient.

Part of the problem here is understanding the difference between the
network service and the NetworkManager service. The network service
will connect before you log in, while the NetworkManager service
connects after you log in. You normally want to run only one of
these services. I like the network service for servers and desktops,
and the NetworkManager service for laptops. (I need to be able to
connect to my desktop even if nobody is logged in.) You can have
both services running at the same time, but you have to make sure
you have the interfaces that you do not want NetworkManager to
control marked as such.

Mikkel
--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.