Alpine will not show attachments

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Mar 2 19:19:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:59:34 -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:

> I am running alpine-2.00-1.fc10.x86_64 on an F10 box. If I get a message
> with an html or file attachment and I try to open it, I get an error
> that "Firefox can't find the file at /tmp/img--46112.htm" The correct
> program opens up but I always get the can't find file errors. If the
> message contains a URL then it comes up and displays properly.
>
> Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this problem?

	First, go into M[ain Menu] > S[etup] > C[onfigure] ; type W
[hereis], then URL. Make sure the first hit says viewing is enabled. Then
W till you get to URL-viewer, and post what it's set to; you may also
want to hit the question mark and read the help -- Pine/Alpine help is
generally well written.

	My viewer is unset, and it uses the default; since I run Gnome,
my preferences are set in Fedora's Preferences (to Dillo -- it's fastest,
and I can always c&p the URL to something else if Dillo can't handle it).

	When viewing the message, you should see at least one line among
the headers specifying the attachment(s). Hit '>' [right angle-bracket];
that gives you just the list of what you can view. With the cursor,
highlight what you want, then hit Enter or the angle bracket again.

	When it asks, tell it Yes. If that fails, tell it Save, and
notice the name it offers (or change it, if you like). Then go into your
home directory and find it; this time you have all of Fedora to open it
with, and will usually succeed.

	Finally, if it's some cockamamie Windows app, you may have to go
looking for what in linux handles that. For specifically html, right-
clicking on the saved file will normally let you choose any browser you
have to open it with. (I recommend Epiphany; it's the least well-
defended, and I keep it around as an expendable to try things that my
strong browsers won't handle, when I don't want to stop and figure out
which defense I have to relax for something I may only ever look at once.)