display "stretched"

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Mar 3 18:46:32 UTC 2009

brian wrote:
> OK, so this has just happened again so I took the opportunity to see
> what xrandr had to say about it.
>
> $ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1360 x 864, maximum 1360 x 864
> default connected 1360x864+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    1360x768       60.0
>    1152x864       60.0
>    1024x768       70.0     60.0
>    1024x576       60.0
>    960x600        60.0
>    960x540        60.0
>    800x600        60.0     56.0
>    768x576        60.0
>    720x576        60.0
>    856x480        60.0
>    800x480        60.0
>    720x480        61.0
>    640x480        60.0
>    512x384        60.0
>    400x300        60.0
>    320x240        61.0
>    1360x864       60.0*
>
> Two odd (to me) things: it's suggesting that it's the horizontal measure
> that's changed, though what I'm seeing is a display that's very much
> stretched vertically, and it's listed this new pair last, below the
> smallest one.
>
> I tried resetting using xrandr:
>
> $ xrandr --fb 1152x864
> xrandr: specified screen 1152x864 not large enough for output default
> (1360x864+0+0)

Does:

xrandr -s 1360x864

work any better for you?  I find that I have to issue 2 commands since
it "thinks" its already in the size I wish to choose, so I'd do:

xrandr -s 800x600
xrandr -s 1360x864

-s sets the screen size.  -fb sets the frame buffer size.  The frame
buffer size needs to be large enough to hold the largest screen size,
since a smaller screen size can be "scrolled" to view the entire frame
buffer if necessary.  In Xorg.conf parlance, -fb is the "virtual screen
size", and -s is the actual screen size.  When -s is smaller than -fb,
the screen can be scrolled (via mouse movements) to view the entire
frame buffer.

> In the end, logging out and back in has fixed things, as usual.

Of course, it resets everything from scratch.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net