Booting a gazillion linuxes?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Mar 4 02:46:30 UTC 2009

Any recommendations for the best way to organize a big
old disk chock full of different versions of linux so I
can boot different ones?

For just a few linux versions, I've used a stand alone
grub and chainloaded different partitions which, in turn,
have their own grub.

With enough different linux versions installed, I'll have to
use LVMs instead of extended partitions, and it occurs to me
that I have no idea if grub can be pointed at an LVM to
chainload the linux there (I certainly don't see anything in
the grub info file that mentions lvm or any syntax that
might be used to reference one).