Clarification on roles of networking components.

Flaschen, Matthew S matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 4 16:46:10 UTC 2009

> If he has internal servers that local hosts need access to.

> For example. If he is running an Netbios server and the clients need to
> access shares on it.

Right.

> He does not want the world to know about this NAS,

Obviously.

> plus it probably has an RFC1918 address.

I would definitely recommend a local-only address for the local services.

> So with a local BIND server, he would set up an Internal view.

He /could/ do that but you haven't said why he should.  If he wants his DNS/DHCP server connected to the outside internet, I would recommend he get two ethernet cards, eth0 and eth1, then configure dnsmasq to only serve on only the local interface.  Note that this doesn't require any DNS-specific configurations.  It is inherently simple and secure.

> Perhaps he has an internal WiKi. I can go on with internal servers that
> need name resolution.

I think he wants name resolution for all local hosts (why not?).

> He can maintain all of this in hosts files on each
> client as he seems to have done, or he can run his own internal DNS
> server with an internal view.

Nowhere do you say why the complexity of BIND is necessary.  He would be served very well (no pun intended) with a far simpler DNS implementation.

Matt Flaschen