Dual boot WinXP repair (maybe a little OT)

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed Mar 4 20:19:04 UTC 2009

So I installed WinXP on an old computer, then repartitioned with
qparted.  I added a partition in front of the Windows one for /boot and
one after for a LVM volume.  Then I installed F10.  I loaded grub in the
boot record of the /boot partition and left the MBR alone.  I
re-numbered the partitions so that /boot is sda1, Windows is sda2, and
the rest is sda3.  There is no extended partition.

Now WinXP won't boot.

Is there a simple way to reconfigure the WinXP side so that its boot
loader works again (without re-installing)?  I changed the boot.ini
partition number, but that didn't help.

TIA.
--
                Matthew Saltzman