Not Remembering Root Password

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 6 14:43:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 23:33 -0700, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> it's my computer and I'm the only user, so password or not, I am BOTH
> me and root, anyway.
>
> Do you really think it matters? What could happen, aside from making
> me think a few nanoseconds longer before executing a command?

Simple scenario:  You view some webpage that exploits a weakness in your
web browser.  With no way for it to get root access, all it can do is
mess up *YOUR* files.  But with root access, it can do *anything*,
including silently install a rootkit.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686