kernel errors when inserting a CD

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 6 20:59:31 UTC 2009

---- Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:43 -0500, Steve wrote:
> > kernel: end_request: I/O error. dev sr0, sector 0
> > kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
> > <repeat to logical block 7>
> > <repeat for other sectors>
> >
> > After some investigation, I have found that I only get these errors if
> > I boot with a CD in the drive.
> > Then I found that they also appear in the logs whenever a CD in
> > inserted into the drive.
>
> I see something like that all the time when there's a CD in the drive.
> The auto-mounter attempts to read a file system from the disc, and can't
> (e.g. because it's an audio disc), and those are the error responses
> about the failure.  If it can read the disc (often, it takes a few
> attempts, while the mechanics of reading a disc are run through; focus,
> positioning the laser in the right spot..), or it completely aborts, the
> error messages stop.
>
> What type of CD is in your drive?
$ sudo lshw
           *-cdrom
                product: DVD+-RW GSA-H31L
                vendor: HL-DT-ST
                physical id: 1
                bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/cdrom
                logical name: /dev/cdrw
                logical name: /dev/dvd
                logical name: /dev/dvdrw
                logical name: /dev/scd0
                logical name: /dev/sr0
                version: W616
                serial: [HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GSA-H31LW61606/11/02
                capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
                configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
              *-medium
                   physical id: 0
                   logical name: /dev/cdrom

Steve