Can jackd and pulseaudio coexist?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat Mar 7 19:43:00 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ir wrote:
>
>> Running JACK on top of PulseAudio is not supported at
>> this point. (It should theoretically work by enabling JACK's PortAudio
>> backend now that PortAudio works with PulseAudio, but you'd be going
>> through 4 layers JACK->PortAudio->ALSA->PulseAudio, so it isn't quite
>> ideal for JACK's real-time requirements. And I have yet to test this -
>> Fedora's JACK currently isn't built with PortAudio enabled.)
>>

> Well, I just checked and JACK's PortAudio backend uses the ancient PortAudio
> v18 API, so at this point it might actually be less work to just fix the
> native ALSA support to support non-mmap access (and thus PulseAudio) like I
> already did for PortAudio. (I may have a try at it if I get some time,
> though I don't expect all that much interest in allowing JACK to work on
> top of PulseAudio.) And in the upcoming (and API-incompatible - looks like
> that will be "fun") JACK 2, PortAudio appears to be only supported on
> Window$ (though it's finally v19). Another possibility may be to write a
> native PulseAudio driver.
>
> For you as a user, the "PulseAudio on top of JACK" setup is certainly the
> best solution as it works now. It's also the way JACK gets the lowest
> possible latency. The drawback is that the sounds from most common desktop
> apps will be routed through both PulseAudio and JACK and that it requires
> reconfiguration because Fedora is set up for PulseAudio by default,
> whereas "JACK on top of PulseAudio" would ideally "just work" (but right
> now it doesn't work at all).
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Bummer.  So in a nutshell, I cannot use RoseGarden until all of these
issues (PA)
are fixed/resolved, right?  I could perhaps disable PA and enable JACK
to use RG,
but then might run into problems trying to get PA back, probably not
worth the
hassle. I think I will pass for now.

I was trying to find a MIDI player that works and kmid just does not
work (cannot
figure it out), so... I think I will postpone it for now.

Thanks for responding!
Dan