setting X server DPI

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:33:05 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:

> I've got a long rant on DPI one a website I'm working on
> with all my linux info dumped. See:
>
> http://braindump.home.att.net/dpi.html

I have jumped most of those hoops, too.

I used to use gdm, but then it stopped having the server arguments option
(and kdm got fixed), I discovered gnome's setting, but that doesn't help me,
as a die-hard kde user, I used to have an nvidia card and rejoiced in the
ability to nail my monitor's native resolution down fast, but now I use
Intel and there is no longer an xorg.conf (I'm glad about that, and the
dimensions one could set in xorg.conf never worked right anyway)...

I believe the font resolution you mention in kde's systemsettings is only
for fonts (96 or 120), while the setting in kdmrc is for all displayed
information.

I, too, wish that either X could detect a monitor's native resolution
correctly automatically, or that one could easily set it system-wide.