DST, will Fedora change the time on the fly?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Mar 8 23:14:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 19:02:49 -0400
Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> I have the hardware clock (and Linux) set to UTC.  I have the Windows
> timezone set to GMT with the DST conversion turned off.  (You need to do
> this for *every* windows user!)  Then Linux always does the right thing,
> and Windows always leaves the clock alone.  And file timestamps are
> always correct in both systems, in case you cross-mount filesystems.

That is definitely what I tried to do several times, and Windows
still insisted on changing the time out from under me. I gave
up trying to understand why. Maybe some stupid service somewhere
"just knew" I ought to have DST adjustment turned on and helpfully
put it back or something. Windows time keeping was doomed from the
moment they decided the hardware clock should keep local time anyway.

Also as bad as the original Palm OS, a system designed almost exclusively
for keeping track of appointments, having no DST support at all :-).