DST, will Fedora change the time on the fly?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Mar 9 01:11:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 19:14 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 19:02:49 -0400
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> > I have the hardware clock (and Linux) set to UTC.  I have the Windows
> > timezone set to GMT with the DST conversion turned off.  (You need to do
> > this for *every* windows user!)  Then Linux always does the right thing,
> > and Windows always leaves the clock alone.  And file timestamps are
> > always correct in both systems, in case you cross-mount filesystems.
>
> That is definitely what I tried to do several times, and Windows
> still insisted on changing the time out from under me. I gave
> up trying to understand why. Maybe some stupid service somewhere
> "just knew" I ought to have DST adjustment turned on and helpfully
> put it back or something.

There's the setting in the clock menu (right-click on the clock icon).
That's always worked for me in XP, but I discovered recently that you
have to change the setting separately for *every* user.

> Windows time keeping was doomed from the
> moment they decided the hardware clock should keep local time anyway.
>
> Also as bad as the original Palm OS, a system designed almost exclusively
> for keeping track of appointments, having no DST support at all :-).

That *was* annoying.  There was an add-in to deal with it, but I never
got it to work right on my 3x.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences