yum dependency problem--F10

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 11 02:19:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 21:54 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On my F10 installation I've been getting this error now for a week or more:
>
> # yum update
> Loaded plugins: priorities, refresh-packagekit
> fedora                                                                                                                                | 2.8 kB     00:00
> updates                                                                                                                               | 2.3 kB     00:00
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> 3032 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Setting up Update Process
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: system-config-date for package: firstboot
> ---> Package system-config-date-docs.noarch 0:1.0.5-1.fc10 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: system-config-date >= 1.9.35 for package: system-config-date-docs
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> system-config-date-docs-1.0.5-1.fc10.noarch from updates has depsolving problems
>   --> Missing Dependency: system-config-date >= 1.9.35 is needed by package system-config-date-docs-1.0.5-1.fc10.noarch (updates)
> firstboot-1.102-1.fc10.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
>   --> Missing Dependency: system-config-date is needed by package firstboot-1.102-1.fc10.i386 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: system-config-date >= 1.9.35 is needed by package system-config-date-docs-1.0.5-1.fc10.noarch (updates)
> Error: Missing Dependency: system-config-date is needed by package firstboot-1.102-1.fc10.i386 (installed
>
> I know such things sometimes happen when repos aren't fully synced, but
> this has been going on for DAYS now, and no resolution.
>
> I DID have rpmfusion free and nonfree enabled, but I turned them off to
> see if it simplified this any, and it doesn't.
>
> I had a similar issue with one of the xine packages from rpmfusion that has
> gone on for a month or two, and I can't figure that one out either.
>
> Suggestions welcome, thanks!
----
I would recommend that you enable the rpmfusion-free and
rpmfusion-nonfree and the updates...

# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
repo id                    repo name
status
adobe-linux-i386           Adobe Systems Incorporated
enabled:     17
fedora                     Fedora 10 i386
enabled: 11,416
rpmfusion-free             RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free
enabled:    324
rpmfusion-free-updates     RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free - Updates
enabled:    572
rpmfusion-nonfree          RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Nonfree
enabled:    142
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates  RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Nonfree - Updates
enabled:    391
updates                    Fedora 10 - i386 - Updates
enabled:  4,055

so your output looks similar to above, if not, perhaps you want to post
the output of your 'yum repolist' command

Then, I would suggest that you execute the command (has to be as
root)...

yum clean metadata
yum update

if these are problems, you might need to install yum-utils package and
see what you get from command 'package-cleanup --orphans' (by all means
post the output of these commands to the list for help)

Craig