NM: the usual rant

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 11 22:07:39 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> Hmm - I had a problem with NM.  I reported it.  I gave feedback as and
> when
>> requested.  The problem is solved.  I'm not complaining :-)
>
> I agree with you in principle.
> But it is very difficult to pin down a problem that only arises
> from time to time.
> In my experience NM starts on this laptop about 60% of the time,
> after one re-boot about 25% of the time,as
> and after two re-boots about 10% of the time.
>
> I don't find anything that helps except a complete reboot.
> I wish I could get NM connecting before login;
> then I could tell if it wasn't working,
> and start again in that case.

My experience is that the checkbox for enabling at boot time is there for a
reason, unfortunately the reason doesn't seem to be so that the network will
actually be connected before login. I have it checked but the light on the USB
WiFi doesn't even blink until I log in, at which point it suddenly negotiates a
connection.

And if you need to use it remotely, better just write a script, if there's a way
to tell it to connect to the AP *first* then start the VPN to the home office, I
haven't found it, and of course writing usable documentation, as Mathew says "is
not a good use of developer time." Which is a polite way of saying that "if it
was hard to write it should be hard to use."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>