FC10, Virtualization , Windows XP

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 11 22:48:30 UTC 2009

M A Young wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:09:04 -0500
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> FC 10/KDE
>>> what is the best Virtualization program for FC10, to run Windows XP in.
>>> I understand because my AMD Athlon doesn't have a "svm" feature I can't
>>> run KVM, and VM Ware is slow ?
>>
>> Anything you use will be slow without the hardware virtualization
>> support - they all have the same problem.
>
> But they aren't all as slow as vmware, nor is hardware virtualization
> required for a faster solution, for example Xen does very well without
> needing hardware support. However, due to the current development stage,
> xen isn't a practical solution for Fedora 10 (upstream development is
> usable is some circumstances but yet suitable for a wider audience), but
> might be ready during the lifetime of Fedora 11, or for Fedora 12.

Linux can run paravirtualized, but XP not so much. A general problem, which is
why the hardware virtual is helpful. Doesn't seem to help some things, though,
the last I checked Avi told me that Win98SE did some stuff in real mode which
kvm can't catch, I think VMware does, I believe I ran VMware on a 2.4 kernel
"back when."

My guess is that qemu is about as good as the others, give or take 20%. I
actually installed FC10 x86_64 on qemu, although it was... leisurely. Something
to try, at least.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>