Kaffiene vs gene, score 1-0

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 12 04:24:34 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Tim wrote:
>Tim:
>>> You could (a) opt not to have startup and shutdown noises, (b) pick
>>> quieter sound effects for those events.
>
>Gene Heskett:
>> And where is that choice administered?  So many menu's have changed
>> between 3.5.9 and 4.2, and become so 'simplified' in favor of leaving
>> so much as defaults, there is little enough intuition as to where they
>> are.  And I have explored most of the likely looking items in the
>> k-menu.
>
>Isn't that why it has a search feature?  To find the things for you that
>you can't find in its chaos.

What search feature?  You mean find files/folders?  One needs a valid name,
and I know how to run locate, which seems to be about 3 magnitudes faster. :)

>When all else fails, locate the sound files used when starting and
>stopping, and re-record them at quarter volume levels.  That was how I
>made less important annunciators quieter, while the important ones were
>still attention getting.

And how to do that when you have no idea of that particular pair of filenames?

Chuckle. There is always a smartass in the crowd, usually me, Tim. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)