FC10, Virtualization , Windows XP

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 22:24:10 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> the last I checked Avi told me that Win98SE did some
> stuff in real mode which kvm can't catch,

I believe that depends on the vendor:

    According to the [Intel] VT-x spec, guest OSes cannot operate in
    real mode… AMD SVM, on the other hand, supports real-mode for
    guests…
        – http://lwn.net/Articles/182080/

(The article is about Xen and predates KVM, but the hardware is the same.)

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | We still have enough spare cardboard sitting around to
aprilcottage.co.uk | send a bus by Parcelforce, although not enough wrapping