invalid context: httpd_sys_content_rw_t

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Fri Mar 13 11:51:16 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 04:10:46 Braden McDaniel wrote:
> I'm trying to let httpd write to a subdirectory of ~/public_html and I'm
> running into SELinux errors on Fedora 10.  The error message directs me
> to "man httpd_selinux", which describes several context types.  Of
> these, httpd_sys_content_rw_t sounds like what I want; however, chcon
> doesn't seem to know about it:
>
>         $ chcon -R httpd_sys_content_rw_t mydir
>         chcon: invalid context: httpd_sys_content_rw_t
>
> And FWIW, the "Fix Command" offered by the SELinux error message
> ("setsebool -P httpd_unified=1") doesn't seem to help, either.
>
> How do I need to massage SELinux to make this work?

~#] ls- l
drwxrwxr-x  amessina apache   system_u:object_r:httpd_user_content_rw_t:s0
public_html

you need to allow apache basic user perms to write to that directory, and you
need the httpd_user_content_rw_t:s0 context set on the public_html directory.
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E