Church sound

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Mar 13 21:07:19 UTC 2009

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> David Miller writes:
>
>> My church has decided that they would like to do digital recording
>> using a computer in place using tape.  I have setup a FC10 machine
>> that I plan on using for this. I see several packages that will record
>> but I don't want to have a 700M file.  Is there a package that will
>> break the recording into, lets say, 10min files and then be able to
>> burn those to CD as audio tracks with zero time between tracks.
>> At some point later I would like to get a camera and start doing video
>> recording of the service  and place of DVD.
>
> mplayer's mencoder should be able to do it. Use it as a no-op filter,
> but specify the -ss and -endpos options to extract a chunk from the
> source video.
>
> mencoder should work for both audio and video files. There's probably an
> mplayer option that dumps the chronological size of the audio/video
> file. Have a script use that to figure out how to chop up the file, then
> invoke mencoder repeatedly to carve out each chunk.

Warning, having tried to do that using ffmpeg, if you break at the wrong point
you will lose sync between sound and video. There is a granularity issue which I
don't remember, other than having to play with audio to video offset later to
get it right.

Hint: that same audio time shift can be a life saver if you are recording from a
distance using a zoom lens and a shotgun mic or parabolic audio mic, since the
sound will be delayed. You can shift it back "in sync" with ffmpeg.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>