FC10, Virtualization , Windows XP

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Mar 14 13:38:39 UTC 2009

On 03/04/2009 07:09 PM, Jim wrote:
> FC 10/KDE
> what is the best Virtualization program for FC10, to run Windows XP in.
> I understand because my AMD Athlon doesn't have a "svm" feature I
> can't run KVM, and VM Ware is slow ?

My experience with my HP 6125 AMD 64 laptop was that Virtualbox runs
much better than my previous VMWare installaiton. Currently, Virtualbox
2.1.4 is the most current release. Initially, I installed it to run
Realplayer 10. While there is a native Realplayer on Linux, the videos
my wife wanted needed MSIE to authenticate, and WINE (and Crossover
Office) do not support RealPlayer 10.  With VMWare, the images would
freeze, but with Virtualbox, it works well. However, we use VMWare
Workstation at work with RHEL 5.2 as the guest OS, and performance is
reasonable. I use KVM/QEMU at home with no complaints.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix