gdm chooser config side effect warning

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Mar 14 13:53:40 UTC 2009

I decided to try the prescription from the thread on gdm chooser
for turning off the user list:

>GCONFSYS=$(gconftool-2 --get-default-source)
>gconftool-2 --config-source=$GCONFSYS --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list --type bool true

It did indeed work, no more stoopid user list, but as a
side effect it also utterly ignored my ~/.dmrc file.

It always defaults to a GNOME session login, I have to manually
pick a different session kind on each login - the choice
does not stick.

It is really too bad the gdm developers aren't slightly more
moronic - with just a tad fewer brains they would be utterly
unable to develop code that even they imagined should be
released and we'd be spared all these "improvements".

P.S. Setting it back to "false" got things back to "normal".