[Resolved] Re: Boot problem on F8 system

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Sun Mar 15 05:20:05 UTC 2009

Langdon Stevenson wrote:
> I have a Fedora 8 server that I recently ran pre-upgrade on in
> preparation to moving to Fedora 10.  After pre-upgrade ran the server
> was rebooted and will not start.  The symptoms are as follows:
>
> Server boots and detects all disks (it has 6 scsi disks running software
> raid).
>
> Boot up continues and at the point where Grub should run I get the output:
>
> grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub
> grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub grub
> grub grub
>
> this goes on forever, filling screen after screen and gradually slows
> down and down.
>
> Has anyone seen this happen before, or know what might cause it?  I
> can't find any reference via Google

Resolution to this problem:

1. Boot from a Live Spin (I now love Live Spins)

2. Use the Logical Volume instructions here:

    to mount the root and boot partitions then to re-install grub

3. Reboot server and all is well

Thanks to the person who posted the solution in that thread.  I figured
the steps out myself independently, than stumbled across the thread
(typical!).  The steps are exactly the same as I used, so I thought that
it was worth linking them here.

Now to get on with the F10 upgrade.

Langdon