Fedora compatible Headset recommendations?

Brian Mury brianmury at alumni.uvic.ca
Mon Mar 16 06:01:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 17:29 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> That helps. I am concerned that if I grab a USB model it may need propietary
> drivers to use.

I have a Logitech USB headset which I use with Skype. I plugged it in,
told Skype to use it, and it worked. I didn't have to install or
configure anything (other than telling Skype which sound device to use).

The model I have is the ClearChat Comfort USB: http://tinyurl.com/3xtyse

I have Skype set to "Logitech USB Headset (hw:Headset,0)" for sound in
and out, and set to "pulse" for ringing. This way incoming calls ring on
my desktop speakers (via pulseaudio), while the audio for the call
itself goes through the headset (not via pulseaudio). I did try using
pulseaudio for the headset, sound out is fine but I can't get sound in
to work. I haven't spent much time trying to solve it because it works
fine the way I have it set up.

> (Previously the output volume was too low with no way to raise it enough in
> applications to hear clearly and boosting stuff in pulseaudio was producing a
> lot of noise.)

That sounds like the same behaviour I am seeing. Care to elaborate on
how you fixed it?