Running a web server on 256 RAM

Mauriat mirandam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:47:20 UTC 2009

2009/3/16 James Matthews <nytrokiss at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if I am able to run a webserver (Apache,MySql) for my
> wordpress blog and django site on 256 megs ram. Yes I know everything is
> possible however I wish to upgrade from shared hosting to a VPS (Slicehost
> or Linode I didn't decide yet....) and I am wondering if it will work out.

What type of traffic do you get?  In general a VPS is going to be
significantly better performance than shared hosting if you are only
running 1 or 2 websites.  That shared hosting is probably running
hundreds of sites on it.

This should not be a concern.

Of course maintenance is significantly more work, but I'm sure you know that.

-Mauriat