Evolution throwing away emails for one of my accounts ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 16 23:59:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 19:09 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 15:41 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > Many versions of evolution/Fedora ago, I stopped using junk filtering
> > because spamassasin was so slow and memory was a terrible issue. I
> > gather that the response was to implement the bogo-filter instead of
> > spamassassin at the evolution level to solve that but I do have junk
> > filtering on my mail server so I just shut it off and have left it
> > off.
>
> I switched from SpamAssassin to Bogofilter over a year ago and haven't
> regretted it. I feel that SA is great as a server-side spam filter
> (indeed one of my mail servers uses it) but BF is better for the
> desktop. One problem with SA was that it would leave multiple spamd
> processes lying around, though that may have been fixed since then.
>
> All the same, I didn't get the sense from Tim's message that he was
> talking about spam filtering. Perhaps he could clarify.
----
sure - I only use cyrus-imapd with sieve which is server based
filtering/handling so it's transparent to me - I don't see the e-mail
until it's been filtered.

I've got a bunch of rules...a 'wc -l' of my sieve script runs 497 lines
which I can tell averages about 6 lines per rule so I clearly have 80 or
so rules which are going to take some time if an e-mail drops all the
way to the last rule (which isn't a place that anyone sending me a
personal e-mail wants to end up).

Clearly running those rules against every e-mail takes time and none of
these rules have anything to do with junk mail except if the header
contains an entry tagging it as spam from MailScanner/spamassassin it
goes into my SPAMBOX.

In the end though, we use filters to organize incoming e-mail so even if
it does take a little longer to get automation, I'm not sure what the
problem is (except for as I said, when evolution used to use
spamassassin for junk detection and then the problem was more like oom
issues).

Craig