User allowed commands -

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:49:05 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Can someone tell me how I can arrange to be able to run
> system-control-network as user bobg.  It looks like I  should
> be able to accomplish this via visudo but that is overwhelmingly complex.
>
> My objective is to be able to close or open my eth0 internet connection
> without
> jumping though hoops. As it stands I have to use system-config-network,
> enter password, and when the GUI comes up I can then click on
> "de/activate."
Two ways to not quite accomplish accomplish roughly what you want:

1) Allow the user to control the network device - add "USERCTL=yes" in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 as documented here:
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-rg-en-4/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html

- but I don't think that will allow you to launch s-c-network as a
non-root user - i think you'd still have to run "ifup eth0" and "ifdown
eth0"

2) add the following to /etc/security/console.apps/system-config-network
UGROUPS=users (assuming bobg is in the users group)

That will then prompt for bobg's password rather than root - but as you
object to typing in a password I'm not sure it's great for you.

--
Sam