NM fails to connect when booting ?? -[SOLVED]

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 18 19:07:16 UTC 2009

Mark Haney wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> I wish some guru who understands NM would bring out a variant
>> that just connects on bootup.
>> I'm pretty sure the standard version would rapidly fall into disuse.
>>

> But, they have that feature already. It's the way network interfaces
> have started for a decade.  Why bother with NM at all when starting the
> interface on boot is what 99% of people need anyway?
>
> As for the arguments about wireless connectivity, how many people
> actually move between wireless connections?  If you do it might be only
> between 2, home and work.

I had actually hoped that the "profiles" stuff might let me have multiple
configurations which work at multiple locations. I have three locations needing
credentials, and I'd like to have a "Starbucks" configuration which found
whatever was available. Doesn't seem to work that way. :-( Thankfully I know how
to write scripts and use iwconfig...

> NM sucks, everyone knows it, so let's can it and move to something that
> doesn't.

The reason people think it sucks is that the documentation is missing,
inadequate, or wrong. And when I mentioned this someone told me that writing
documentation is not a good use of developer time, and that's hogwash. I've done
FOSS and commercial development for over thirty years, and on commercial
software there was always a description before the code was written, and someone
writing documentation which was checked by QA, or for something I was giving
away, I wrote my own because I wanted people to love and use my software. We
used to call the NM approach "if it was hard to code it should be hard to use."

I would would be ashamed if something I wrote was a constant topic on this list,
had it's own list on how to avoid it, even had people selling bloody tee shirts
which show "NetworkManager" in a circle with a slash through it, and generated
opinions like the "everyone knows it" above. Actually I exaggerate, the site was
selling iron-on sheets for $4, you had to provide your own shirt, but there must
have been some market. I do believe that a scan of this list indicates it's not
just a few people frustrated by the lack of documentation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>