BOINC

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 18 20:31:35 UTC 2009

John Aldrich wrote:
> Yes, that's the sort of behavior that annoys the crap out of me.
> Fedora/RedHat in their *infinite wisdom* have decided that we can't be
> trusted to run *anything* as a normal user

That's not true, actually with technologies like ConsoleKit and PolicyKit
the trend is towards running more stuff as the regular user.

> (as witnessed by them requiring admin priveleges awhile back to run
> XCDRoast!)

I'm not sure why that's the case. I do know that we explicitly do not
require root privileges for K3b, as they aren't necessary. (We also disable
the check from upstream K3b which warns if wodim is not suid root, it works
just fine without it!) Have you tried filing a bug against xcdroast?

        Kevin Kofler