copying lvm with the same name

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Mar 19 00:07:28 UTC 2009

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:24:12 -0700 (PDT)
> Dean S. Messing wrote:
>
>> Regarding the actual problem the OP seems to have, it seems to me (not
>> being an LVM expert) from his output that he has a Volume Group (00)
>> that spans sda2 and sdb2, two LVs that are defined in the VG, both of
>> which sit on sdb2, but no LV defined on sda2.  Is this unusual?
>
> I actually have two Volume Group 00's, one on each of sda2 and sdb2.  sda2 is
> "live" in that it's the one that I'm using right this minute.  sdb2 is somehow
> both present and not present, depending on how you look at it, but it doesn't
> appear to be accessible in its current form.  I'm considering using fdisk to
> remove the partitions on it and re-create something "from new" but I'm not
> entirely sure how wise that would be, or exactly what I should create on there.
>
> Another approach would be to just forget it and leave everything as-is until
> such time as I reformat and reinstall Fedora on this box (if that ever happens)
> at which time I think the installer would automatically do its thing and create
> a volume that occupies both hard drives.  After all, everything is working
> and this extra drive is neither helping or hurting my activities.  But it seems
> to me that a logical volume, by its nature, should be easily expandable without
> taking drastic measures.

I'm being very hesitant here, Frank, as I don't want your system to go
completely bonkers.

We have a serious conflict here.  The df command shows you as on sda,
but LVM is reporting sdb.  My gut reaction is to have you do a:

	vgreduce --test VolGroup00 /dev/sdb2

and see if it would be successful.  If so, then remove the "--test" and
cross your fingers.

It may be possible do some testing in rescue mode.  Boot off a DVD to
rescue mode and do NOT let the system mount your volumes.  From the
command prompt, run "lvm".  From the lvm prompt, try

	lvm> vgreduce VolGroup00 /dev/sdb2
	lvm> exit

Exit from rescue mode and try to boot from the hard drive.  If it comes
up, then a "pvscan" should show that /dev/sdb2 does not belong to any VG
and you should be fine.  If it doesn't boot, bring it back up in rescue
mode and:

	# lvm
	lvm> vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sdb2
	lvm> exit
	# exit

And you're back where you were.

-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -