BOINC

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 18:33:51 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Mike Burger wrote:

> It's not the case, any more, but I do recall it being an issue in FC3 or
> FC4, if memory serves.
>
> I've not seen it since FC5, and I know it's not the case in F8 or F9
> (haven't tried in F10, yet).

Yeah. I think that was about the time I discovered K3B or maybe I just
downloaded the tarball and installed it. :-) Don't recall, as it has been
several years. Just that it annoys me that this sort of thing happens...
stuff that *used* to run just fine under normal user accounts gets changed
without any fanfare or notification that it now requires special privileges
to run.

I also made a note of it on the boinc.berkeley.org wiki that someone needs
to make this warning and work-around (which they publish as well) more
prominent if this sort of thing is going to be going on. I figure it's their
product and if they are aware of it and/or endorse the policy, they ought
to publicize it.