F10 and built-in Intel graphics [SOLVED]

psmith johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:12:06 UTC 2009

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 19:18, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>> I can't find the other e-mail in which someone suggested using XAA
>> acceleration, but that seems to have worked so far.  Thanks, all!
>>

> It doesn't work. It improves the time between two crashes, but does not
> eliminate them. The only workaround that makes intel drivers stable atm is to
> add Option "NoAccel" "true" into xorg.conf, but that kind of defeats the
> purpose of having a supported, open source, 3D accelerated driver.
>
> I have also set XAA instead of EXA, and it does slightly improve the
> situation, but don't rely on it.
>
> The problem here seems not to be just the transition from the old XAA to the
> new EXA. The bug is somewhere deeper, and it looks like to be an interplay of
> various things in the intel driver itself, the kernel, the X, the usage of 3D
> acceleration by the apps on top of X and so on. That is why crashes appear to
> be random, why it is almost impossible to trigger the bug intentionally and
> why there is no fix for cca 5 months now.
>
> <rant>
> So much for the famous Open Source support. If it were a nVidia bug, it would
> be just fixed in the next release of their closed-source driver. Even ATI's
> buggy flgrx driver gets fixed when the bug is severe enough. And here we are
> having the source completely open for the intel driver, and a bug that so
> radically affects all Intel cards is not fixed for half a year now...
> </rant>
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

well i've been using my aspire one on F10 since the day of the F10
release with the exa acceleration method, i'm scoring ~780 in glxgears with

glxgears -geometry 300x300+360+150

as the command, i've yet to have a X lockup or crash either and i'm
using compositing in xfwm4 too, and the plymouth solar boot works well
too. obviously not everyone is having such a good time with their intel
gfx hardware, but not everyone is having problems either ;)

phil