How to optimally set up components for SOHO mail system.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 20 02:33:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 12:00 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 16:43 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > I use a setup that I implement on all my clients...
> >
> > postfix
> > MailScanner (wrapper for clamav & spamassassin)
> > SQLGrey (greylisting)
> > cyrus-imapd
> >
> > mail is received by postfix, put into incoming queue, noticed by
> > MailScanner, checked, passed back to postfix for delivery, and finally
> > put into cyrus-imapd store.
> >
> The mail client (Evo, Kmail etc) then points to the local IMAP store?
----
yes, the one computer with all of the mail handling would be the IMAP
server and all the computers would point to that computer.
----
> > I use RHEL or CentOS for this mail server and not Fedora because of
> > the
> > need to frequently update. I use Fedora for user desktops.
> >
> We go at a slow pace with nothing on computer being "mission critical"
> so I'm happy to stay with Fedora for now while I'm still learning, but
> when I need to free up more time for other things CentOS is the favoured
> option and RHEL when I'm not hands-on much.
----
suit yourself - RHEL is by design a long term supported platform.
Current RHEL 5 seems to be spun from much of what was Fedora 6
----
> > I also install the latest Horde/IMP/Kronolith/Nag/Turba/etc. (and
> > LDAP)
> > to give a fully integrated workgroup collaboration suite of not only
> > shared e-mail but also shared contacts, shared calendars, etc.
> >
> Until now, only heard of the Evo suite and Koffice.  Will check those
> out.
----
the idea is that the protocols are supported so if you have Kronolith
set up, then you can point Evolution calendars on the server
----
> > If you plan on continuing to use the same mail accounts at the same
> > ISP,
> > then you would probably need to set up fetchmail (or getmail) to
> > retrieve the e-mail from the ISP and feed it into your mail server.
> >
> So the flow is:
> ISP -> fetchmail -> postfix/procmail/sendmail -> MailScanner -> SQLGrey
> -> Cyrus/Dovecot -> Evo/KOffice/etc
----
Sendmail < or > Postfix
procmail is pretty ugly and not needed if you use sieve
Ingo (part of Horde) can give users a very nice sieve interface to
control server based rules
Greylisting not useful if you are doing fetchmail from ISP
Cyrus IMAP < or > Dovecot

Craig