NM with a system wide connection-for Tim and others

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Mar 21 14:52:06 UTC 2009

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Here is Dan Willliams discussion about using NM to produce a global
> network connection. I never tried it myself.

[Discussion of what might happen sometime in the future]

> In the mean time, you can
> edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and change
> 'ifcfg-fedora' to 'keyfile', 'killall -TERM nm-system-settings', then in
> the connection editor create your connection and make sure to check the
> "System connection" box before hitting OK.  That _should_ ensure that
> the connection is saved as a system-wide connection and you'll be able
> to poke around the file too.

I'm trying to make sense of this.
My /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf reads:
[main]
plugins=ifcfg-rh
I've changed the second line to "plugins=keyfile"
though I have no idea what that means.

Now I've run
[tim at mary NetworkManager]$ killall -TERM nm-system-settings
nm-system-settings(2124): Operation not permitted
nm-system-settings: no process killed
[tim at mary NetworkManager]$ sudo killall -TERM nm-system-settings

Finally, I have right-clicked on the NM icon in my panel,
and clicked on Edit Connections, then on the Wireless tag,
next on Auto-dd which seems to be my current connection,
and finally on Edit.
There is no "System connection" box.
There is only a box "Connect automatically" which is ticked.

It seems I have misunderstood the instructions.
What is the "connection editor" if not the above?
And how do I "create my connection"?

> Let me know if you have any questions.

Just write some documentation, PLEASE.

--