fedora LTS , why not?

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 21:00:28 UTC 2009

Adel ESSAFI wrote:

> 2009/3/21 Adel ESSAFI <adel.safi at imag.fr <mailto:adel.safi at imag.fr>>
>

>     2009/3/20 Armin <amoradi at fedoraproject.org
>     <mailto:amoradi at fedoraproject.org>>
>
>         On Saturday 21 March 2009 11:09:06 Adel ESSAFI wrote:
>          > 2009/3/21 Adel ESSAFI <adel.safi at imag.fr
>         <mailto:adel.safi at imag.fr>>
>          >
>          > > 2009/3/21 Sharpe, Sam J
>          > > <sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
>         <mailto:sam.sharpe%2Blists.redhat at gmail.com><sam.sharpe%2Blists.redhat at gmail.com
>         <mailto:sam.sharpe%252Blists.redhat at gmail.com>>
>          > >
>          > >> 2009/3/21 Adel ESSAFI <adelessafi at gmail.com
>         <mailto:adelessafi at gmail.com>>:
>          > >> > I see that many of you point me to centOs. The idea is
>         interresting.
>          > >> > However, why centOs is not as known as ubuntu. The main
>         advantage in
>          > >>
>          > >> ubunti
>          > >>
>          > >> > (in my point of view) is LTS and codecs!  Why centOS is
>         not a
>          > >> > commercial success?
>          > >>
>          > >> CentOS is a success. I've been looking for a new job
>         recently and lots
>          > >> of medium-sized businesses are using CentOS. In my limited
>         experience
>          > >> I have only found one company asking for Ubuntu
>         experience. Ubuntu's
>          > >> codec support is also no different to Fedora - it's not in
>         the main
>          > >> repositories, you have to enable universe, just like you
>         have to
>          > >> enable rpmfusion for Fedora.
>          >
>          > I agree. But, things looks easier in ubuntu! The coded is loaded
>          > automatically (afte a confirmation from the user). Why such
>         features are
>          > not avalaible in Fedora!
>
>         That is mostly an illusion created somewhat by the ubuntu user
>         community.  You
>         said things "look" easier.  Like what?  Could you give a good
>         example?  **
>

> For this example: I mean that some ubuntu multimedia software ask you
> installing codecs when needed!! And they install the appropriate one.
> This unfortunatly does not exist in Fedora
>

> Regards
>

>         The
>         codecs are installed the same way and used the same way in both
>         ubuntu and
>         CentOS/Fedora.
>
>          > > Regards
>          > >
>          > >> However, CentOS isn't used as much in large organisations
>         - they tend
>          > >> (as my current employer does) to use Red Hat Enterprise
>         Linux, because
>          > >> it is certified by lots of application and hardware
>         vendors and can be
> [...]
Please note, CentOS IS A COMMERCIAL SUCCESS
Many bigger enterprises use CentOS, but they do not advertise it and it
is very popular for small & medium enterprises
CentOS/Fedora does lacks the same consumer fame like Ubuntu
Two main reasons according to me :
(1) Commercial backing => limited funding => less advertisement
(2) Perception amongst users and the media => leading to less knowledge
how to use the product

--
Toshaan <toshlinux at gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be