F10 Things Breaking

Conor Mac Aoidh conormacaoidh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 00:31:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu>wrote:

> On Saturday 21 March 2009 23:05, Conor Mac Aoidh wrote:
> > I have been having problems with my Fedora 10 installation recently. I
> > don't know what it is but a hell of a lot of things are breaking. First I
> > installed an upgrade that broke Yum, which I have fixed. Then I installed
> > another update that seems to have broken a number of things....
>
> What exactly did you do? If you use yum to install stuff, it should not
> break.
> If you manually installed something (why?), that is probably the reason
> that
> things got broken.

I try my best to only install stuff with yum. It's not possible all of the
time though... What is the point of having a package manager if it does not
manage your packages!?

> Also I recently installed the kooldock which operates similar to a Mac OSX
> > dock. It was working but now when I click on one of the doc items I get
> the
> > following error:
>
> Kooldock is a very lame substitute for the real "Mac OSX dock" (tried both
> myself). Incidentally, that real "Mac OSX dock" is called cairo-dock, and
> is
> available for Fedora:
>
> yum install cairo-dock

I actually used cairo-dock before and got rid of it. I think that kooldock
is much better. I couldn't get cairo to do transparent backgrounds and
kooldock is much more customisable.

Maybe you need to have rpmfusion repo enabled, I am not sure... :-)

How do I check? Is that a dis-advantage?

> I would appreciate if anyone could figure out what the hell is going on
> > because it's really starting to annoy me! I have tried forums but no one
> > seems to know the answer!
>
> You have probably broken your own system yourself. Basic rules: never
> install
> a rpm binary by hand unless you are sure it is packaged for F10 and you are
> sure you know exactly what you are doing. And if it is packaged for F10,
> use
> yum instead of manually installing. If you compiled something from source,
> be
> sure to install it in /usr/local so that it doesn't conflict with existing
> packages (of course, you can't be 100% sure even then).

I don't do that anyway...

If you tell us how did you manage to "install an upgrade that broke Yum",
> maybe someone can help to clean things up. Otherwise, you get to keep the
> pieces...

I really don't think that I have done anything to cause these things
breaking... But then again I'm no Linux genius! For example I discovered
that the sound problem that I have been having recently was caused by a
kernal update. There's more info on that here:

As for the Yum problem, I don't know exactly what happened. Yum was working
fine then I installed an update and from then on I could not use Yum, not
even to install updates. I fixed it by running this:

rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
rpm --rebuilddb

Thanks

--
Conor

"If you make a general statement, a programmer says, 'Yes, but...'
while a designer says, 'Yes, and...'"

http://macaoidh.name