fedora LTS , why not?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 05:16:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Tosh <toshlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please note, CentOS IS A COMMERCIAL SUCCESS
> Many bigger enterprises use CentOS, but they do not advertise it and it is
> very popular for small & medium enterprises
> CentOS/Fedora does lacks the same consumer fame like Ubuntu
> Two main reasons according to me :
> (1) Commercial backing => limited funding => less advertisement
> (2) Perception amongst users and the media => leading to less knowledge how
> to use the product

It might be worth suggesting to the CentOS developer community to look
at adopting MirrorManager and its support for local network mirror
administration and to start to collect aggregate data concerning the
number of client systems looking at the centralized Centos
MirrorManager instance.  Getting hard numbers on the number of Centos
installs the same way Fedora is could really help raise the level of
awareness of how pervasise Cento is is out in the wild.

I think Centos is flying under the radar a bit too much, but for that
to change Centos users need to be encouraged to be a little more vocal
about its use.

-jef.