F-9 rescue disk?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Mar 22 16:51:06 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> Dumb question - how are you booting into the rescue mode? (The steps
>>> you are taking - not just boot from live CD.)
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>

>> The Live CD presents a normal grub screen when you hit enter and offers
>> several options, boot from local drive, seems appropriate.  That
>> produces the same result as if I just let the boot proceed normally
>> without the CD.  I get a raft of errors and it finally gives up and says
>> stopped.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Ah - that is the problem - you are not booting into the rescue mode.
> You are booting the same way as if you had booted from the hard
> drive. Try entering "linux rescue" at the Grub prompt. (I normally
> the DVD image or the boot image off the DVD, so there may be an
> extra step when using the Live CD to get the Grub prompt, or a
> rescue option on the Grub menu.)
>
> Mikkel

Ok, I can do that and fdisk sees the two drives, /dev/sda and sdb but
not /dev/sdc which I believe is the CDROM drive?  And that's what's
stopping the F-10 install from progressing, it can't fins /dev/sdc2?
But if it is the cdrom it used it to get started!

And I still can't ssh into box6 [the failed unit].  It just reports no
route to host.

What do I need to do next?

Bob