system-config-printer can't find my remote printer ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Mar 22 18:56:39 UTC 2009

Hi;

I feel foolish posting here.  This should be simple to do.  But I am
stumped.  I have googled etc. and found nothing helpful.

I have a two computer home LAN.  The network is properly set up.  I can
ping and ssh in both directions.

I have a working HP Photosmart C4200 series printer connected by USB to
my BASEMENT computer. I am trying to set up printing for the UPSTAIRS
computer over the LAN. system-config-printer on the UPSTAIRS computer
does not detect the basement printer and none of the set up options it
gives seems to work.

I would like the printer setup to 'just work' before I turn the UPSTAIRS
computer over to a non-IT person who has just come off of using
WindowsXP.

I am flumexed.

--
Regards Bill