system-config-printer can't find my remote printer ??

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 23 14:28:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 16:14 -0400, William Case wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 14:52 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 14:56 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > I feel foolish posting here.  This should be simple to do.  But I am
> > > stumped.  I have googled etc. and found nothing helpful.
> > >
> > > I have a two computer home LAN.  The network is properly set up.  I can
> > > ping and ssh in both directions.
> > >
> > > I have a working HP Photosmart C4200 series printer connected by USB to
> > > my BASEMENT computer. I am trying to set up printing for the UPSTAIRS
> > > computer over the LAN. system-config-printer on the UPSTAIRS computer
> > > does not detect the basement printer and none of the set up options it
> > > gives seems to work.
> > >
> > > I would like the printer setup to 'just work' before I turn the UPSTAIRS
> > > computer over to a non-IT person who has just come off of using
> > > WindowsXP.
> > >
> > > I am flumexed.
> > If cups correctly Downstairs you should not have to configure it at all Upstairs.
> > Do you see the printer Upstairs when you use the cups web interface?
>
> BASEMENT: http://localhost:631 shows the correct printer.
> UPSTAIRS: http://localhost:631 shows NO PRINTER
>
> As I said earlier, ping and ssh works in both directions!?
Is there a /etc/cups/client.conf on the upstairs printer. Also
are the printers on the same lan. One more think. Are you sure you made
no configuration at all on the upstairs printer. Having made any
configuration on that machine of cups could lead to the result you are
seeing.
A fair exterior is a silent recommendation. -- Publilius Syrus
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net