F10 and built-in Intel graphics

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:32:29 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> The 8400GS is PCI-e and won't fit in this old Dell Dimension 2400 - but I
> have bought one of those for my other problematic Intel integrated
> graphics machine (see below).   In this case (Dimension 2400) even with
> only 2d working it is better than not working at all with Intel Integrated
> graphics (except with Vesa)!  So even with limited support it is
> infinitely better than without it.  This is an old machine and hails from
> the 2003 era so a graphics card from the same era (where only slots are
> PCI and not PCI-e) is quite a good choice - and that is why I bought it.
>
> I don't actually need 3d for that machine but I may try the legacy nvidia
> driver (rpmfusion) at a later stage. The way it is now with the new card
> the machine works and there is no need for messing with xorg at all.
>
> I have a newer machine (only a few years old) Dell Dimension 5150 with
> 82945 integrated graphics and I bought a newer PCI-e nvidia graphics card
> (8400GS) for that though I have not yet installed it in that machine, as
> it has been needed for

I have now had a few minutes to install the 8400GS nvidia card (PCI-e) in
the Dimension 5150 - it works like a charm with kmod-nvidia installed from
rpmfusion, and fixes all issues that I previously had with the integrated
graphics. glxgears now runs at around 2600 fps, powersave works properly
again, and this is now a nice responsive machine .... and I have the choice
of 3d if I wish.

Hopefully this machine will now last a while yet and work without having
hassles  -  and when KMS is eventually sorted out for Intel Integrated
graphics I even have the opportunity to have twin screens later!