system-config-printer can't find my remote printer ??

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:09:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:56 AM, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I feel foolish posting here.  This should be simple to do.  But I am
> stumped.  I have googled etc. and found nothing helpful.
>
> I have a two computer home LAN.  The network is properly set up.  I can
> ping and ssh in both directions.
>
> I have a working HP Photosmart C4200 series printer connected by USB to
> my BASEMENT computer. I am trying to set up printing for the UPSTAIRS
> computer over the LAN. system-config-printer on the UPSTAIRS computer
> does not detect the basement printer and none of the set up options it
> gives seems to work.
>
> I would like the printer setup to 'just work' before I turn the UPSTAIRS
> computer over to a non-IT person who has just come off of using
> WindowsXP.
>
> I am flumexed.

On the BASEMENT computer:
You said on another post that you're sharing the printer: could you post
the contents of /etc/cups/printers.conf?
Also post he output of "lpstat -t"
Check that the line "Browsing on" exists in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
Also do you see anything unusual if you do "service cups restart"?
Are there any hints on the log files of incoming connection requests
from the UPSTAIRS computer?

~af