Maple on Fedora - beware updates today

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:45:52 UTC 2009

David Liguori wrote:

> This has been my experience as well.  Maple and Matlab both ostensibly
> can be installed on Linux but in practice it's difficult or impossible.
> I tried years ago, gave up and run them both in Windows.  Open source
> substitutes sometimes do what I need and sometimes not.  If I have time
> I play with them.  In principle I like Linux and open source, but am by
> no means ideological about it.

Beware - after today's updates including Fedora 10 Update:
java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-11.b14.fc10  it appears that Maple 12 which was
running fine in F10 for me is now broken - I am not sure if this java update
is the culprit but some other applications are also not working any more -
eg Okular

I now have some key applications no longer working  -  and not very happy!